Sun exposure, acne or just getting older can leave your skin tone uneven, wrinkled, spotted or scarred. If you want your skin to look smoother and younger, consider a chemical peel, which uses a chemical solution to smooth the texture of your skin by removing the damaged outer layers.
A chemical peel, also called chemexfoliation or derma peeling, is one of the least invasive ways to improve the appearance of your skin. Although chemical peels are used mostly on the face, they can also be used to improve the skin on your neck and hands.
You can improve:
- a medium chemical peel. The chemicals used for this type of peel will remove skin cells from both the outer layer of skin (epidermis) and upper part of your middle layer of skin (dermis). Your healthcare provider will use trichloroacetic acid, sometimes used in combination with glycolic acid.
Here’s how it works:
- Your face will cleansed.
- The chemical solution is brushed onto your skin and left for just few minutes. You may feel some burning or stinging.
- The treated area may turn a whitish grey color
- The chemicals are neutralized with cool saline compresses.
- Your skin may turn red or brown in the days just after the peel. It may take up to six weeks for your skin to look normal.
You may repeat medium chemical peel every 6 to 12 months to maintain your glowing new skin.